2008년 3월 29일 토요일

journal2

Reading must be the interaction of many variables in the reading process. What kinds of reading interaction have you experienced? Think about your reading process and try to apply your thought into any interaction model introduced in this chapter.



I've never considered reading as a type of process up until my "Teaching Second Language Reading" class. Especially, reading English text was always challenging task for me. It was not an interaction between various breading factors but a translation. After the class, however, I realized that thinking and guessing that I was doing during the reading were sorts of my reading interaction process.

For example, when I read an unfamiliar text, I simply rely on bottom-up skills such as vocabulary or knowledge of structures. On the other hand, when I encountered a reading text that I'm familiar with, I start activating my existing-schemata to understand the text effectively.

I think my reading process can be applied to the Stanovich's compensatory model. Compensatory processing means that when readers have a difficulty applying one of the reading process strategies he or she try to use the other one.

Thus, Regarding my experience, readers like myself over-rely on their decoding skill. However, it is obvious that good readers need less processing capacity for word recognition, using more capacity for comprehension.

댓글 없음: