2008년 5월 18일 일요일

journal 6

Option 1: Does a schema activate your reading process? Talk about your case episode how schema helps your reading or no schema retards your reading.
Option 2: Search for teaching techniques (ex. activities) to provide students with background knowledge for better reading and introduce one.

Option 1

When I read some materials such as newspapers, magazines, text books, my schema starts activating my existing -relevant prior knowledge. Actually, I am that kind of reader who totally relies on their schema during the reading process. Once I realize I have background knowledge about the topic of the text that I'm about to read, I feel kind of relieved and I'm really eager to read the text until the end. For example, I can easily read fashion magazines and the articles about movies. It could be assumed that I have enough schemas(vocabulary of fashion and movie-related words) to understand those texts. However, if I found the context difficult, which means I have little background knowledge related to the topic, I would get scared and might be afraid to read the rest of the text. It usually happens to me when I read about something relevant to a science or politics.
Therefore, given all my experiences and lots of researches about reading, a schema which individuals have definitely affects one's reading process.


Option 2
::: Activity:::

YES/NO . . . WHY?
CHARTING STRATEGIES FOR ACTIVATING BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE

WHO
This activity can be designed to provide young or poor readers with the prerequisite background knowledge for interpreting a passage as well as a way offraming their thinking for future reading. These strategies can also be usedwith nonreaders by having the text read aloud and the nonreaders respond orally.

WHAT
Any appropriate narrative or expository text.

DIRECTION
To introduce this activity, explain ‘yes’ and ‘no’ statementsand give sample reasons for each. (A ‘yes’ statement reflects an idea in theparagraph/passage that a reader knows about, appreciates, or understands. A‘no’ statement reflects an idea in a paragraph/passage that a reader dislikes,disputes, or does not comprehend.)

Begin reading the text, demonstrating the use of ‘yes’ and ‘no’ statements along with reasons why for each statement. Continue reading, inviting readers to join in. After you have a sense that they understand the procedure, ask the readers to complete the text independently, filling in the ‘Yes/No . . . Why?’ charts as they read. Once all readers have had the opportunity to finish reading, share the completed charts. Examine the similarities and differences between reader’s charts and discuss how individual’s background knowledge makes a difference in how a reader understands/interprets printed text.

댓글 없음: